Friday, September 18, 2009

How Was Your Summer?

I have pondered your question for quite sometime (How was your Summer?)
It really made me think,weird huh?
You said that you're feeling old and slow. Don't worry, it must just be the weather.
Not since school, have I been aware of Summer as a noun.
Back then Summer was a break.
Summer was time with friends. When days spent at the pool turned into nights out too late to remember.
There were no obligations or responsibilities.
Ah, Summer, where did it go?
Summer meant an entirely different thing many years ago.
Now, one day, you wake up and realize the temperature is cooler and the leaves are starting to change.
No more sandals or tank tops.
Those Michelle Obama arms that I worked so hard to get all Summer will soon be covered under layers. A good excuse I tell myself as I skip the gym,
yet, another day.
I had coffee with a neighbor this morning. She had the day off from her very demanding job.
She said she hasn't even had time to notice that the leaves are starting to change.
Each day from my studio window I watch Summer fade as Fall takes over on a large oak tree across the street. It's a little less green each day.
You are not old and slow, but if you think so, just be glad you are aware........
Oh, by the way,
how was your Summer?

3 comments:

jafabrit said...

I loved summer, reminded me of home in England. Not too hot or humid, windows open, cups of tea, sitting and doing my embroidery in the garden :)

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and hope all is well.

Thorngren said...

That is so funny, I thought of you just today as I passed a box of Jaffa cakes in the International section at the grocery store. Then again down the tea aisle. Gotta catch up on your blog!

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

my summer...was not as peaceful as I thought it would be! Love Chirpy posted above this one!