Monday, February 9, 2009

Friends

Deer
16 x 20
acrylic collage
on paper


At this stage of the game, I am finally realizing the importance of friendship. This may be because I am getting older or that I am more comfortable with who I am.
Ah, who I am I kidding?
I have no idea why this is happening.
I would like to think that I have a lot to contribute to a friendship and that I could make an impact. Advantages of being my friend include an exchange of ideas and opportunities to express emotions. I think friends should challenge each other.
Perhaps I am being too lofty in my expectations.
This dawned on me when I received an email from my dear friend in Germany.
She is going through a difficult time and mentioned that she just wanted to be with me and think about nothing.
I guess that probably makes sense, since we don't speak the same language.
I am just wondering how I could possibly sit around and think about nothing.
This really wasn't the type of challenge I was talking about.
But what are friends for?

3 comments:

kms handmade said...

Mary Beth, I know in the brief time I knew you I enjoyed every moment around you. I wish I could have known you longer! I know you have a lot to offer a friendship, including just being there! :)

Anonymous said...

One day, driving in my car with one of my best friends, I realized we had been traveling along in silence for about 15 minutes. That moment I realized that we were extremely comfortable with each other. Nothing forced, no need to constantly talk, thinking our our thoughts together.

My very good friends may not always share the same opinions, but they listen to each other and try to understand and sometimes just be there for each other without words.

Thorngren said...

I like the title "Without Words"
Even though my German friend and I speak different languages, we understand each other perfectly.