Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Handkerchief

Travel I
16 X 20
acrylic collage
on paper
Travel II
16 x 20
acrylic collage
on paper

She was quick on the draw with even the slightest sniffle.
There was no where to run when that sharp, hollowed clank echoed through the room.
Her handbag, now opened, set free that suffocating aroma of lipstick, Juicy Fruit Gum, and occasional peppermints. There I was with a moist handkerchief thrust beneath my nose.
This is a dreadful memory.
One that will stay with me the rest of my life.
I know she meant well, but why she never offered it to me unused, I will never know.
Last night I got to thinking about handkerchiefs and how absurd they seem.
Their delicate nature defies their very use.
The word handkerchief is even confusing.
It sounds like a sneeze.
When I saw a box of them at the thrift store the other day, I wondered how many fugitive nose drops each one may have caught.
I pictured all the different grandmothers thrusting them below the noses of unsuspected children.
Then I found it ironic how something so dainty could hold such a dreadful memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like these 2 paintings. The colors are rich and deep. Just recently I took to naming some of my paintings Beach Glass I & Beach Glass II. Now I see you have the I & II naming too.

My Dad (1950's era) always carries a white handkerchief in his back pocket to blow his nose on. I think it's a bit gross. But he is always prepared for a nose honk. (chuckle)

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

Very interesting! Pretty collages..I like the vivid colors you used! And thanks for putting the "get well, get well soon...Elaine/Seinfeld thingy in my head the other day!!! All day! lol!