Saturday, July 28, 2007

yesterday



I took this picture on my walk the other day thinking it was just a cute garden gnome. It was not until I downloaded it, that I thought he was not so cute after all. I zoomed in to get a closer look at what my mind was suggesting. I was so uncertain, I had to drive back and see exactly what the little guy was doing. Still,I am baffled. It appears that he is doing just what I think he is doing- naughty little gnome! And look at the smile on his face!
Perhaps, it is me that is the naughty one and whatever is supposed to be in his hands is missing.
What one perceives is based on interpreting information. Georgia O'Keeffe painted flowers on a grand scale, so that people would take the time to see the beauty that she saw. The following quote sums up the way people perceive things pretty well....... "Well, I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower you hung all your own associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see of the flower - and I don't. "~ Georgia O'Keeffe
This was in reference to people seeing female reproductive parts instead of the flower itself. I wonder if our minds our conditioned to not accept what is clearly presented to us. Programmed, tainted, tarnished-who knows? The simple beauty of a flower and nothing more. Our minds need to complicate things by looking for more.

No comments: