Monday, September 24, 2007

I did not bite the ham!

John invited a co worker to spend Christmas with us 2 years ago because he was TDY and his family was in the States.


I made a ham for dinner, we watched the movie Bad Santa(new tradition) and played the DVD game 'Scene It'. Not your normal X-Mas, but it was fun.


The next morning I was abruptly woken to take part in a CSI investigation. While we were sleeping someone had gone into the refrigerator and taken a bite out of the ham. The bite mark did not match our guest or John. Sienna was disqualified because she doesn't have teeth. We didn't have Schatzi at the time, so this left me. I refused to take the silly bite test. The last thing you want to do first thing in the morning is bite a slice of ham especially on X-mas morning!


I knew I didn't bite the ham. It is my story and I am sticking to it. "I did not bite the ham!" is my mantra. I will go to my grave saying it and it will be inscribed on my tombstone.


I repeated this mantra when I placed my hand in the Mouth of Truth (La Bocca della Verita), located in the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedian. You can see in the photo above. The most famous characteristic of the Mouth is its role as a lie detector. Starting from the Middle Ages, it was believed that if one told a lie with his hand in the mouth of the sculpture, it would be bitten off. The piece was placed in the portico of the of the church in the 17th century.


I did not bite the ham and I have both hands to prove it.


You believe me, don't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this women. She is OCD for ham! I wouldn't call her untruthful, maybe she was sleepwalking.